Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Journey With My Dad

(My father died May 10, 1999. Following is what I said at his memorial service. We still miss you Dad).

Reading: Genesis 22, verses 1-12

Where are we going dad?
Down to Callahan Creek? Are we?
Can we put our toes in the water? Can we?
Are we driving to Kalispel? Are we?
Can we swim in Flathead Lake? Can we?
Are we there yet dad?
Are we there?

Where are we going dad?
Are you walking to school with me? Are ya?
Did you pack me a lunch? Did ya?
Will you visit my classroom today? Will ya?
Are we there yet dad?
Are we there?

Where are we going dad?
Can we stop at Wall Drug? Can we?
Can we visit Frontier Town? Can we?
What’s a tourist trap dad? Huh?
Are we there yet dad?
Are we there?

Where are we going dad?
Are we going out on the boat? Are we?
Can I row the dinghy in the harbor? Can I?
Will we go fishing for salmon? Will we?
Are we there yet dad?
Are we there?

Where are we going dad?
Will you show me how to tune up the car? Will ya?
Can I use the car tonight? Can I?
Why are you laughing at me? Why?
Are we there yet dad?
Are we there?

Where are we going dad?
Are you coming to my basketball game? Are ya?
Why are you so absent? Why?
Why do you withhold your love? Why?
Are we there yet dad?
Are we there?

Where are we going dad?
What am I carrying on my back? What?
I can’t see it, why is it so heavy? Huh?
Did you give this to me? Did ya?
Are we there yet dad?
Are we there?

Where are we going dad?
Is life about anger? Is it?
Is life about hate? Is it?
Is life about love and forgiveness? Is it?
Why am I confused dad? Why?

I love you and I forgive you.

Where are we going dad?
Are we there yet dad?
Are we there?

No comments: